Not every women travelling towards menopause will experience hot flashes, but if you’re experiencing hot flashes, you know how uncomfortable they can be. Hot flashes are triggered by falling estrogen and rising FSH levels.
We’ve already addressed the addition of soy to cool the heat (see solution #4). Here are a few other solutions to consider:
- Food triggers: certain foods can trigger hot flashes. Try eliminating spicy foods, chocolate, caffeine and alcohol to see if they are impacting your temperature. Reducing sugar and refined carbohydrates can also be helpful.
- Vigorous exercise for 30 minutes 3 times/week has been shown to reduce hot flashes.
- Relaxation and meditation can help minimize hot flashes.
- Herbs, including black cohosh, dong quai, and licorice root have been used for centuries and are very effective at preventing hot flashes when taken regularly.
- Dress in layers and natural fibers for greater comfort if a hot flash strikes unexpectedly!