October 3, 2009

#1 Consult your Medical Professional

An annual physical for screening for cholesterol, cervical changes, and a mammogram are critical for early detection and prevention. The natural solutions found in this blog are not intended to replace the care and advice of a medical professional. If your symptoms are severe and affecting your relationships and health, see your health professional. There may be underlying issues that need to be addressed. Some common physical problems in perimenopause include fibroid tumors, thyroid malfunction, high or low blood sugar, hormonal imbalances and others. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or challenge the prescribed treatment. My experience shows that some medical professionals are quick to prescribe medications without addressing lifestyle issues or natural remedies. I shared my perimenopausal struggles with my nurse practicioner when I was in my late 30s:

* Weight gain * Moodiness * Irregular periods * Breast tenderness * Insomnia
* Poor Concentration * Etc * Yes, I was 'bitchy'!

Her immediate response was to prescribe anti-depressants and birth control pills. Yikes! She never suggested looking at diet, exercise, stress management, counseling or supplements. When I challenged her on this advice, she said the most common prescriptions for people leaving her office were anti-depressants and birth control. I understand that sometimes prescription medication is the best solution, but I think prescriptions should be used as a last resort, not a first resort. These prescriptions both had serious side effects and risks. I was determined to find a better solution. I conquered my symptoms naturally, without prescription drugs.

If you are not satisfied with the care provided by your medical professional, find another. Talk to other women you know and find a healthcare professional that specializes in women’s health you can trust to care for you.

1 comment:

  1. What excercise works well for your life?

    I power walk during the warm months, hit my home elliptical in the winter, and try to do a strength dvd weekly (I like Turbo Sculpt), as well as weekly pilates DVD (I have several of Winsor Pilates). I love group excercise classes, but currently do not have a gym membership

    ReplyDelete